Happy Sunday fellow bloggers! I hope where ever you are in the World, you have had a great weekend with some lovely weather. It’s rather cold and grey here in Nottinghamshire so I thought I would type up a little post of one of my photo projects that I did last week.
From time to time I like to set up my make shift studio at home and shoot a few product shots. On this occasion I wanted to use things from around my kitchen. I had seen a few ideas on Pinterest and wanted to try some out. For this particular idea it was macro shots with cutlery so I chose forks as my choice of subject. This is the link to the page where I got some of my inspiration from – Macro Photography.
For my set up I had two photoSEL standing lights, one 4-in-1 reflector, an on camera speedlight, 100mm macro lens, one tabletop white backdrop and whatever I used as my subject choice.
I usually have my setup in my dining room which I use my dining table pushed up against the french doors as there is great natural light coming through the doors as well as the windows. I have one standing light on each side of the table which I position quite low to the height of the table and also depending on how bright the natural light is.
I lay my backdrop half on the table and half weighted down on the window ledge so that its kind of balancing against the wall and onto the table. I position my reflector correctly depending on the light and where I place my subject and that is about the main bulk of my studio set up. I am then ready to shoot away.
With this particular shot, I used two forks either side of each other and the prongs interlinking so it made a little ledge in the middle to which I wanted to balance an egg.
I’ve seen this done so many times and it looked great so I wanted to give it a go.
My camera settings for this shot was f3.5, ISO 100, shutter 1/60, my speedlight setting was 1/16. This was the final result after edit.
For my next shot I used four forks, three of which I tried to balance on top of one another but on the back side of them which is very difficult actually and had to have very steady hands. The forth fork was placed in front of the other three on the up side.
My camera settings for this was f3.5 ISO 100, shutter 1/200 and speedlight 1/16.
Nothing really fancy with that last shot, however, it was the lines and angles that I thought looked interesting.
So with my final shot, it’s a little bit different. Just a single fork with this and I also used a reflective, crinkled card which was red and laid the fork on its side facing the lights so that it would get a nice reflection from both the lights and the reflective card.
My camera settings were f3.5, ISO 100, shutter 1/60 and speedlight 1/16. Not a lot to this photo as you can see, however, I loved how the red gave this image a completely different feel and look. This was the final edit.
There you are, simple shots but quite effective in their own way.
I hope you enjoyed this little project and do give it a try, its quite fun and enjoyable and the bonus is that you’re practising and learning at the same time.
I’ll catch you all next time 🙂